Friday, February 20, 2015

Perspective and Blind Contours

Hello all!

It was back to Tucson for me today. I'm starting to become more familiar with the drive down. We pass some very interesting places on the two-hour journey, including an ostrich farm and some sort of quarry. That's about as exciting as it gets.

I was the designated DJ again today, but because my wonderful mother offered to drive, I fell asleep for a good portion of the ride. So I don't have much of a playlist to share today.

But really the most exciting part of my day started when we reached Carondelet and I met Ms. Endreson back in the Lobby at 9:30am. She started the day off by explaining the change in patients. Today, only three of the patients whom I met last week were still at Bridges. One of those three was actually discharged today. I did miss the Tim and the other patients from last week, but I was excited to encounter some new faces.

After Ms. Endreson and I had a quick conference about the day's activities, we decided to focus on perspective and self-esteem. Our first group session was composed of five patients, four new and one from last week. Of course, right after lunch each one of them had a very glazed look on their face.

Despite the apparent lack of energy, we began the session with an observation exercise. Ms. Endreson  walked around the group circle with a simple image drawn out on paper and, after each patient had seen it for ten seconds, she asked them to try to copy the design on small sheets of paper. After everyone was done, we shared. The patients all seemed very reluctant to share what they had made. Some had created images quite far off from the original. I imagine they were all very aware of how hard the exercise was for them and, in a way, it made them hyperaware of  their own disorders. But the next activity was much more encouraging and provided the patients with more of a fun puzzle. Ever seen these before?

Do you see an old woman or a young lady?




Do you see a vase or two faces?
We gave these and other images to the patients today to explain ideas of perception and negative space. They seemed to enjoy it and spent a bit of time squinting at their papers; whether they really learned anything or not, I cannot say, but their energy certainly increased for our next couple hours of art therapy.

The art "project" today was self portraits. But with a fun twist. Inspired by the drawings of Grandma Layton, we encouraged the patients to create blind contour drawings of themselves. This basically means that they create portraits of themselves without looking at their paper, only their reflections in a mirror, and without lifting their pencil from the page (Ms. Endreson explained it as one giant spaghetti picture). 

The drawing by Grandma Layton we shared with the patients
The session started with only a couple patients, but as we started on our portraits, a few more wandered into the art room. We ended with six of us sitting around a single table! Only one of the patients followed the "rules" of a blind contour drawing, while the others either drew freehand portraits or whatever they pleased. I would love to share their images with you all, but before I get their permission, you will have to settle for my own portrait (I participate along with the group to provide a motivating factor for the patients, which seems to work!):

I added color and shading after the atrocious blind contour stage
The patients also began to add color and backgrounds to their portraits as time went on. I noticed one patient was quite discontent with her original contour, which she did in a dull brown pencil. Her glasses were off-center and her face was too wide. But as she added color, she began to loosen up and seemed much more satisfied. The metaphor I saw was one of accepting your flaws, whether physical or mental, and finding other things to improve on--things you have control over. But I did not mention that metaphor to her while she was working. I have learned that one of the biggest rules of art therapy is to let the patient "break the metaphor." Another thing I noticed today was the amount of conversation that  began at our table. Patients were complementing each other's work and getting to know one another. It was a very encouraging way to end the day.

So I realize that was a crazy long post, but today was definitely a crazy long day. We'll see what tomorrow has in store. 

Until next time, 

Tia



8 comments:

  1. Haha I've actually been to the ostrich farm! Needless to say, it's a cool place. And your blind contour is wonderful, considering. I'd have done way worse. Did any of the patients do particularly well in creating their blind contour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daria! Maybe I will have to stop at the ostrich farm over the next couple of weeks to see what's up :)
      In art therapy, we try to focus more on the process than on the product, so I don't want to compare the finished pieces of patients. But, considering both the process and finished product, I would say the contour drawing in brown pencil I wrote about in this post was particularly successful. I actually got the patient who created it to sign a release waiver so I will share a picture of it in my next post!

      Delete
  2. Tia.......not only is your narrative so interesting but adding the pics and puzzles makes it even. This facility is so lucky to have you! Your energy and positive nature are such a great attribute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mr. Nishan! I'm glad the visuals help bring the project to life a little bit :)

      Delete
  3. hi tia,
    I love reading your blog and seeing your work in the art of your patients.what a great experience!have you ever played the shape game? probably you have... That might be a fun activity with your patients.
    http://www.childrenslaureate.org.uk/previous-laureates/anthony-browne/shape-game/

    Mr. Bloom

    P.S. have you ever hiked Picacho Peak? It is a great hike and a great stop off on the way to Tucson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of the shape game, but I remember playing something similar with my friends when I was younger! Really cool! The activities we do with the patients really depend on who we have to work with on a certain day, but I would love to give the game a try if we end up with the right crowd.
      I have not hiked Picacho Peak, but it does look quite beautiful (from what I've seen on the last couple drives). Maybe I'll have to stop sometime :)

      Delete
  4. The shape game is super fun just with friends too. We bring markers and scrap paper to restaurants and play with the kids while we are waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear that Art Therapy is working It seems that color has a big effect on some of these patient's mood. Is there a particular reason you think that color has triggered a more lax approach in the patients?

    ReplyDelete